I found these delicious brussels sprouts from a winery in Brooklyn — yes, a winery in Brooklyn! I decided to modify them with a vegan twist.
First and foremost, the part of this recipe that takes a bit of time is candied orange peel. Trust me when I say – It is worth it!
This dish is best if it sits over night. A helpful note — I used a half dozen of oranges at a time, so I can use in other recipes.
- Candied Orange Peel (See Recipe Below)
- 1 1/2 lb.Fresh brussel sprouts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 course salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves fresh garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Directions for Sprouts:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix the first 4 ingredients in a bowl.
- Turn out on a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes turning every 10 to get the proper sear.
- Add the garlic and pecans, roast another 10 turning once. When they are done, put back in the bowl and toss with 3-4 teaspoons of candies orange peel.
- Serve them up!
Candied Orange Peel Ingredients:
- 6 oranges, zested plus juice of the oranges
- 6 cups of water
- 6 cups of sugar
- juice and zest of one lemon
Directions for Candied Orange Peel:
- Put all of the ingredients, except sugar, in a stainless steel pot or a cast iron cookware pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add sugar to dissolve and turn off stove. Cover the pot and leave 12 hours or over night.
- Next day, skim off the peel and reserve the liquid.
- Take the liquid and cook over low until thickened or it’s reduced in half for some yummy orange jam.
- Store in glass jars in the refrigerator or use directions on a Ball Jar package to preserve.
Note: you can always leave out the orange but that makes them special!!