- 1 loaf sprout momma sourdough bread
- 1 loaf sprout momma herb de provance bread (about 1 1/2 lb. each, cut into 1/2 inch cubes…I leave these out over night to dry out )
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into 11/2 inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt — more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper — more or less to taste
- 2 sticks vegan butter (16 tablespoons)
- 1 vidalia onion
- 5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 heaping tablespoons of fresh thyme ( you can use dry as well)
- 1 bunch of fresh sage
- 1 carton of organic veggie stock (or use your own)
- If bread is not dry enough Preheat oven to 250 and line bread on sheet pan and lightly toast but not completely dry.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl, toss the squash with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread it out on a baking sheet (might need 2 pans , you want them in one layer)
- Roast until tender , about 30 minutes
- In a deep fry pan caramelize the onions in the vegan butter for at least 20 minutes. Use a low heat and let them get golden brown. Add garlic, brown slightly. Add celery , thyme and sage.
- Cook till celery is just a touch soft , not mushy.
- Put bread cubes into a large bowl, add squash and onion mixture gently toss . add enough stock to moisten the bread cubes ( if you like a very moist stuffing add more stock, dryer add less). Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour dressing into a prepared baking dish (9×13 pan buttered ..vegan butter) Cover it with foil and bake on lower middle rack at 375*for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until golden brown on top , 15 to 20 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
makes 8 servings