Ahhh summer … And it’s tomato season! Tomato sandwiches and tomato pie. I love it. I played with this recipe because my hubby is vegan. I like this because its not so gooey. I think traditional can get watery!
Time to go for walks on the beach after 6 p.m. Time to take an extra look at the sunset. Best of all, it’s time to pull out the grill.
HEALTH TIP: Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has become the go-to health trend. Reader’s Digest claims it can cure hiccups and alleviate cold symptoms. Some people have turned to Apple Cider Vinegar to help with health concerns — such as diabetes, cancer, heart problems, high cholesterol and weight issues. Below, you’ll find some recipes that use Apple Cider Vinegar.
Sweet Corn and Black Eyed Pea Dip
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small tomato
- 3 cups cooked black eyed peas ( or 2 15 oz cans)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
I found these delicious brussels sprouts from a winery in Brooklyn — yes, a winery in Brooklyn! I decided to modify them with a vegan twist.
First and foremost, the part of this recipe that takes a bit of time is candied orange peel. Trust me when I say – It is worth it!
This dish is best if it sits over night. A helpful note — I used a half dozen of oranges at a time, so I can use in other recipes.
- 2 cans organic garbanzo beans ( you can used dried , just prepare via the package) I drain but reserve the liquid to use later in the hummus .
- 1 head Roasted garlic; whole clove garlic is delicious; I cut the top off; drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20-30 minutes, depending on size. (You can roast as many as you like and store in fridge for all kinds of other uses. It tastes great on Sprout Momma breads with butter or olive!)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon dried turmeric( If you can’t find fresh, use dried; it’s great for inflammation)
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger ( same thing here, use fresh if possible, great for inflammation and settling your tummy too)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- fresh lemon juice
- olive oil